- Put the oil in a pan and gently cook the onion until well browned, stirring regularly.
- Add the diced pepper, carrot, courgette and mushrooms to the pan
- continue cooking gently for 5 minutes, still stirring regularly.
- Add the garlic and oregano. Stir for 1 minute, add the stock and the fresh and canned tomatoes, black pepper and tomato purée.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and add a little water if it starts to stick.
- Finally, add the lentils, simmer for a further 5 minutes, and serve.
- The secret to this dish is dicing all the vegetables really finely, so they’re the same size so they will coat your pasta evenly.
- Try serving with wholemeal pasta such as pappardelle.
- For a gluten free alternative this sauce is ideal served with polenta or baked sweet potatoes.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat thoroughly until piping-hot throughout.