- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions, garlic, tomato purée and capers over a medium heat, stirring, for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, rinsing out the tins with a little extra water to stir through the sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Discard the thick stem from the cabbage and roughly chop the leaves. Add to the sauce along with the basil and simmer for 5 minutes, then fold in the lentils and crème fraiche, and take off the heat.
- Scoop a thin layer of the tomato sauce into the bottom of a 20cm x 30cm baking tray.
- Add a layer of lasagne sheets, then a layer of tomato sauce and a sprinkling of grated cheese. Continue with lasagne sheets and repeat the layers until you run out of sheets and sauce. There should be a final layer of sauce with cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the lasagne is golden and the sheets are soft. Serve with a large salad.
For lower-carb version of this dish, use sliced aubergines in place of the lasagne sheets.