- Cook noodles according to pack instructions (times vary – typically 4–6 minutes), drain and immediately plunge them into cold water to stop them cooking further. Drain again and then add to a bowl with the toasted sesame oil, mix well and reserve.
- Meanwhile, add the rapeseed oil to a pan, then add the red pepper, ginger and chilli (if using), and stir for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the spring onions and bean sprouts, toss for 1 minute and then remove from the heat.
- Add the bean sprout mixture to the noodles, along with the coriander, cucumber, lime juice, and half the peanuts, and mix well.
- Put into lunch boxes and sprinkle the rest of the peanuts on top, adding 1 tsp soy sauce to each, to flavour if desired.
- Choose reduced-salt soy sauce to lower the salt content in this recipe. Alternatively, to make the recipe healthier, leave out this ingredient altogether.
- Use rice noodles and gluten-free tamari, instead of soy sauce, if using, for a gluten-free salad.
- You could also try this recipe with a mix of walnuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.