Our brand new Clinic Befriender role has been made possible thanks to the Belfast Trust. We are delighted to offer this exciting new volunteer opportunity which will be based at the Macular Eye Clinic in the Mater Hospital in Belfast.
People living with diabetes have to attend multiple appointments in order to help them manage their condition but often they don’t always have the information to help them manage diabetes when they get home.
On average, people with diabetes spend three hours a year with a healthcare professional. For the remaining 8,757 hours they manage their diabetes themselves.
Our Clinic Befriender will be present at the Macular Eye Clinic to provide information and signpost people to further advice and support that they may not have time to discuss whilst in their appointment. This is a pilot project which relies on volunteers so if you can give some of your time then please get in touch. Diabetes UK Northern Ireland and the Belfast Trust will provide all the information and training that will be required for this role.
What we need from you
- Providing a friendly and approachable manner as a volunteer representative of Diabetes UK Northern Ireland.
- Being available to offer people living with diabetes up to date information about local support services.
- Talking to patients about the services and information available through Diabetes UK Northern Ireland.
- Maintaining stock of patient information and support leaflets available in the department.
- Inform nursing staff if a patient is in need of support or attention.
- Feedback your experiences to Diabetes UK Northern Ireland as part of an on-going evaluation of the service provided.
How to apply and next steps
This pilot project will be based in the Macular Eye Clinic at the Mater Hospital, Belfast. Patients with diabetes attend the clinic on Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays each week. Volunteers will be required for 3-4 hours per week, commencing this summer.
Please note all volunteers will be required to complete an application form including; two references, Access NI check, adhering to Belfast Trust policies and volunteer induction with Belfast Trust and training with Diabetes UK Northern Ireland.
Contact us today on 028 9066 6646 or email NIvolunteering@diabetes.org.uk if you are interested.