Diabetes UK has created a simple patient checklist leaflet which outlines15 healthcare essentials, based on the care standards set out by NICE and NHS Quality Improvement.
Diabetes Voices have been working hard to get the checklists out to a wide range of people and places like family and friends, healthcare professionals, GP practices, hospitals, NHS organisations and local Diabetes UK groups.
There is still a lot to do to make sure everyone knows about the 15 healthcare essentials. You can:
- Ask the practice manager at your GP surgery to stock the 15 Measures Checklist – firstname.lastname@example.org we’ll send you copies to share with your local contacts.
- Spread the word by telling your friends, family and healthcare team about the 15 healthcare essentials.
- Find out about other people’s experiences by asking them if they’re getting all 15 checks. Visit ourGuides and How To’s pagefor hints and tips on how to do this.
- Write to your local NHS organisation and ask them for information on how many people have been offered the checks in your area. There is a template letter in ourGuides and How To’s sectionto help you get started
- If you’re involved with your local NHS, talk about the 15 healthcare essentials at your next meeting. Ask the Chair of the meeting how you can get access to information about the standards of care in your area
- Ask yourself, are you and other people you know being offered all 15 of the essential measures? If not, it could be time to start your own local campaign.
Got a question?
The Diabetes Voices Team are here to help. If you have any questions or would like advice on how to get involved, you can email@example.com call 020 7424 1008.