On this page you will find lots of information about volunteering and the peer support groups we have for people living with diabetes in Wales.
We need your help to support people in Wales living with diabetes. Volunteering can make a real difference to your local community and to your own life, by helping you meet new people, learn new skills, and have fun! Our volunteers bring skills, experience, energy, enthusiasm, and commitment and we couldn’t be more grateful to them. We have volunteer roles available to suit your level of experience and the time commitment you can offer, while making the best use of your skills.
For example, you can:
- Become a Live Well Champion. The Live Well Champions raise awareness of diabetes in their local community, provide short-term assistance to individuals; helping them access local community-based activities and services, support better diabetes management and risk. They build knowledge and understanding and encourage those affected by diabetes to make the appropriate lifestyle changes.
- Join one of our local groups or start your own. Most meet monthly and give individuals the opportunity to get support for their diabetes, fundraise, hear talks from external speakers and much more.
- Participate in the Speaker Scheme by delivering awareness talks and sharing information with the public.
- Attend training and networking events to develop your skills for your volunteer role and meet like-minded and passionate volunteer
Not sure volunteering is for you? Read some of our volunteer stories below
Adjusting to the knowledge that you or a member of your family has diabetes takes time and it is often helpful to meet other people who live with diabetes and have been through a similar situation.
The local groups across Wales are run voluntarily by people living with diabetes. These groups can offer local information and support and the opportunity to meet other people living with diabetes.
Local groups for people living with diabetes in Wales:
- Abertawe Diabetes UK group
- Cardiff Diabetes UK group
- Cwmbach Diabetes UK group
- Flintshire Diabetes UK group
- Neath Wellbeing Group
- Newport Diabetes UK group
Local groups for famillies and young people living with diabetes in Wales:
- Type 1 of Us - Cardiff
- Type-1-derful - Bridgend/Neath/Port Talbot
- Candy Free Kids - Swansea
- Diabetic Dragons - Cwmbach
- North West Wales Family group - Anglesey
To find your nearest, search the list or use the postcode search.
No group in your area?
If there isn't a local group in your area, the volunteer team would love to help you set one up. Please send an email, including your full postcode, to Wales_Volunteering@diabetes.org.uk. We can provide you with help and resources to set one up or if you are on Facebook join our Friends of Diabetes UK Cymru peer support group.
Get in touch
If you would like to make a difference, get involved, receive further details, or have any questions then please email Wales_Volunteering@diabetes.org.uk.