What is Healthier You?
Healthier You is a free service designed to help you reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. It's an NHS programme jointly run by Diabetes UK, Public Health England and NHS England. Over 9 to 12 months, you’ll get:
- personalised support to assess your needs, motivations and goals
- group sessions with a local coach on healthy eating, being active and managing weight
- practical tools and advice to help you set goals and stick to them when the programme is over.
During the coronavirus pandemic, all sessions will be held online or by phone.
Your first step towards preventing type 2 diabetes is finding your nearest Healthier You service.
“The leaders were enormously supportive in helping me adapt the changes to my everyday life, if it is involved in your everyday habits then it all becomes second nature – it’s not a diet but a lifestyle choice; I choose life.”
- Arvid, who joined the NHS Prevention Programme and successfully reduced his risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Who is Healthier You for?
You can sign up for the programme if you:
- live in England
- are not pregnant
- do not have diabetes currently
- are aged 18 to 79
- and received a score of over 16 when using the Know Your Risk tool.
It’s important to discuss all of this with your GP. They will give you more advice about your score and do a blood test to check your blood sugar levels. And if you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, your GP will be able to give you information about preventing type 2 diabetes if you're at high risk.
If you need information in other languages, please speak to the Diabetes Prevention Programme providers who offer translation services, and course materials, in a selection of languages.