As part of any funding application to Diabetes UK, we are asking applicants to include a work plan that takes into account the impact of COVID 19 on the project deliverables.
Diabetes UK has partnered with the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) to jointly consider applications submitted to the NIHR Doctoral Fellowship scheme. The scheme supports talented individuals, who demonstrate the potential to become research leaders of the future, to undertake a PhD.
Diabetes UK is interested in considering research applications into all forms of diabetes and its complications.
Applications will be processed via the NIHR funding processes.
- Applicants must have completed relevant pre-registration training (for clinical academic applicants)
- Applicants must have completed a first degree (for non-clinical applicants)
- The research must take place at an established research institution in the UK
- Applicants must be intending to register for and complete a PhD
- Where already registered for a PhD (or MPhil with transfer to PhD), the applicant should not have been registered for more than 12 months at 100% WTE by the time the award starts.
This scheme is not currently open to researchers in Scotland.
Grant duration and financial support
Awards are provided for three years (or up to five years part-time).
Clinical applicants are able to include up to 20% clinical time as part of the Fellowship, to ensure the maintenance of their clinical competence. Funding is provided for salary, research costs and training and development.
Doctoral Fellowships will launch the w/c 30th September 2019 – please visit the NIHR for further details on deadlines.
How to apply
When applying for an NIHR fellowship, please select Diabetes UK under the sub-heading “Partnership Fellowship”. The application will be processed via NIHR funding processes.
Further details on how to apply, full eligibility requirements and guidance are available on the NIHR website.
If you have any questions about the Fellowship, please email academy- firstname.lastname@example.org.