The Complications group aims to improve the prevention and management of diabetes-related complications. This group will focus on the prevention and management of the microvascular and macrovascular complications of diabetes.
It will recognise the need to understand the underlying pathogenic processes of vascular complications, in order to achieve this.
It will cover – but not be limited to – nerve and lower-limb related issues, retinopathy, kidney complications and cardiovascular diseases.
If you would like to share your views with CSG6 on where research into complications of diabetes should be focused, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chair: Professor John Petrie, University of Glasgow
Professor Petrie works on vascular disease in type 1 and 2 diabetes, focusing on ways to reduce rates of complications. His work includes large observational studies, biomarker discovery and clinical trials.
The Diabetes Research Steering Groups are bringing together researchers, healthcare professionals and people with diabetes to create a roadmap for new research.
- Dr Martin Rutter, Deputy Chair; Senior Lecturer in Cardiometabolic Medicine; Honorary Consultant Physician, University of Manchester
- Alison Blackburn, Lay member, Newcastle
- Ann Middleton, Lay member, Manchester
- Keith Spurr, Lay member, Lincolnshire
- Professor Helen Colhoun, AXA Chair of Medical Informatics and Life Course Epidemiology, University of Edinburgh
- Dr Sudesna Chatterjee, Senior Clinical Researcher; Honorary Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology, University of Leicester
- Dr Lisa Heather, Diabetes UK RD Lawrence Fellow; Research Lecturer, University of Oxford
- Professor Robert Hinchcliffe, Clinical Professor of Vascular Surgery; Honorary Consultant Vascular Surgeon, University of Bristol
- Professor Noemi Lois, Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology; Honorary Consultant Ophthalmologist Vitreoretinal Surgeon, Queen’s University Belfast
- Professor Naveed Sattar, Professor; Honorary Consultant (Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences), University of Glasgow
- Professor Angela Shore, Vice Dean of Research, University of Exeter
- Professor Solomon Tesfaye, Honorary Professor of Diabetic Medicine; Consultant Physician, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust