The Cause of diabetes steering group aims to improve our understanding around the causes of all forms of diabetes. It covers the genetic and environmental risk factors for diabetes, insulin resistance, epigenetics, and matters relating to correct diagnosis.
It also covers the epidemiology of diabetes, in order to uncover patterns of diabetes within the population.
If you would like to share your views with the group on where research into the causes of diabetes should be focused, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chair: Professor Rebecca Reynolds, University of Edinburgh
Professor Reynolds has an established track record in clinical experimental medicine, whilst also treating people with diabetes and diabetes in pregnancy.
The Diabetes Research Steering Groups are bringing together researchers, healthcare professionals and people with diabetes to create a roadmap for new research.
- Professor Susan Wong, Deputy Chair; Professor of Experimental Diabetes and Metabolism; Honorary Consultant Physician in Diabetes, Cardiff University
- Simon Coey, Lay member, Northern Ireland
- Ron McDowell, Lay member, Fife
- Jinty Moffett, Lay member, Kingussie (Scottish Highlands)
- John Dennis, PhD Student in Statistics, University of Exeter
- Professor Keith Godfrey, Professor of Epidemiology & Human Development; Honorary Consultant in Dermatology, University of Southampton
- Professor Andrew Hattersley, Professor of Molecular Medicine & Consultant Physician, University of Exeter
- Samantha McKinnon, Specialist Dietician, Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Katharine Owen, Associate Professor of Diabetes; Honorary Consultant Physician, University of Oxford
- Dr Sarah Richardson, Senior Lecturer, University of Exeter
- Dr Calum Sutherland, Reader, University of Dundee
- Dr Sara White, Sir George Alberti Research Training Fellow; Specialist Registrar; Academic Clinical Fellow, King’s College London
- Mr Alistair Williams, Research Fellow, University of Bristol