The Type 1 Treatments and Prevention group aims to further research into preventing and treating type 1 diabetes. This group will cover the manipulation of the immune system for the prevention and treatment of type 1 diabetes, alongside cell therapy and islet cell transplantation.
The group will also cover therapeutic targets and the development and study of drug treatments and insulin therapy in people with type 1 diabetes.
If you would like to share your views with the group on where research into prevention, targets and therapies for type 1 diabetes should be focused, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chair: Professor Colin Dayan, Cardiff University
Professor Colin Dayan has a long established interest in the underlying biology of type 1 diabetes and is currently conducting early phase clinical trials in the development of type 1 diabetes immunotherapy.
Our Diabetes Research Steering Groups are bringing together researchers, healthcare professionals and people with diabetes to create a roadmap for new research.
- Associate Professor Ramzi Ajjan, Deputy Chair; Associate Professor; Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology, University of Leeds
- David Dupont, Lay member
- Becki Millar, Lay member
- Daniel Gibbon, Lay member
- Dr James Cantley, Diabetes UK RD Lawrence Fellow, University of Dundee
- Dr Ivy Cheung, Statistician, Swansea University
- Dr Shareen Forbes, Reader in Endocrinology; Honorary Consultant Physician; Lead Diabetologist Islet Transplant Programme Scotland, University of Edinburgh
- Elaine Hibbert-Jones, Dietitian, Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport, (Wales)
- Dr Vinod Patel, Professorial Clinical Teaching Fellow; Consultant Physician in Diabetes & Endocrinology, University of Warwick