The Acute Care group will focus on the urgent in-hospital care that people with diabetes need and receive. This group will cover urgent in-hospital care, including - but not limited to - severe hypoglycaemia, diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and hyperosmolar hyperglycaemic state (HHS).
It will also cover in-patient care for people with diabetes and its complications.
If you would like to share your views with the group on where research into acute care for people with diabetes should be focused, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chair: Dr Gerry Rayman, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust
Dr Gerry Rayman’s research interests include new technologies in diabetes care, such as improving the early detection of diabetic neuropathy and continuous glucose sensing.
The Diabetes Research Steering Groups are bringing together researchers, healthcare professionals and people with diabetes to create a roadmap for new research.
- Andrea Lake, Deputy Chair, Lead Diabetes Research Nurse/ Senior Diabetes Specialist Nurse, Cambridge University Hospital Foundation Trust
- Dr Goher Ayman, Lay member
- Dr Peter Rogers, Lay member
- Gill Rees, Lay member
- Nikki Picken, Lay member
- Dr Ketan Dhatariya, Consultant in Diabetes, Endocrinology & General Medicine; Honorary Reader in Medicine, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Dr Anil Gumber, Reader in Health Economics and Ethnic Health Inequality, Sheffield Hallam University
- Dr Alistair Lumb, Consultant in Diabetes and Acute General Medicine, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Krish Nirantharakumar, Senior Clinical Lecturer; Honorary Consultant in Public Health Medicine University of Birmingham
- Dr Mayank Patel, Consultant in Diabetes, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation trust
- Dr Christopher Sainsbury, Consultant Diabetologist, Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Glasgow
- Irene Stratton, Senior Statistician; Honorary Associate Professor, Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Dr Frances Wensley, Foundation doctor, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
- Dr Dinesh Selvarajah, Senior Lecturer Clinical Diabetes, University of Sheffield