- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, garlic and chillies and fry for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the spices and continue to fry for a further minute.
- Add the remaining soup ingredients to the pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor or use a stick blender and process until smooth (it may be easier to do this in batches), return to the pan and heat through. Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the salsa.
- Serve the soup topped with a spoonful of salsa.
- For a lighter soup, use cannellini beans rather than kidney beans.
- If you don’t want a fiery salsa simply leave out the chilli.