- Beat together the egg yolk and with 200ml ice-cold water. Tip in the flour and roughly combine.
- You're not making a smooth batter, the mixture should remain fairly lumpy as this gives it its lightness when fried.
- Heat the oil in a large pan until a piece of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Dip the prawns and vegetables into the batter and fry in batches. Turn regularly to ensure even cooking, until light golden in colour about 2-3 mins per batch.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve.
- You need to use quick-cooking veggies for tempura. Sugarsnap peas, mange tout, green beans, celery and spring onions are also ideal.
- For a healthy dipping sauce, simply blend together 2 handfuls mixed fresh herbs (e.g. parsley, coriander, mint, basil) with a clove fresh garlic, juice and zest 1 lemon and 2 tbsp olive oil.