The upcoming Northern Ireland Assembly elections provides an opportunity to highlight the key issues that newly elected MLAs will need to be aware of to help people living with diabetes.
Following the launch of the Diabetes is Serious NI report (PDF, 6.5MB) we have been keen to continue our engagement with MLAs in order to make the case for diabetes in Northern Ireland.
We have taken the keys themes identified in our NI survey and highlighted them in our manifesto (PDF 442KB).
What we are calling for:
- Prioritising catching up on the significant backlog of diabetes appointments caused by the coronavirus pandemic to avoid the serious consequences of missed appointments, checks, treatment, and delayed diagnoses
- A systematic and robust method of auditing of diabetes in Northern Ireland and the infrastructure needed to support it, like the National Diabetes Audit in England and Wales
- Recurrent and sustainable investment in the Diabetes Prevention Programme as a key means to support people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes to make changes to their health and behaviour so fewer people develop the condition each year
- Implementation of commitments within the Mental Health Strategy to ensure that mental health interventions for people with long-term conditions like diabetes are available to those who need it
- A plan to increase uptake of diabetes technology to everyone who can benefit from it, regardless of diabetes type
- The development of a comprehensive workforce strategy to address service gaps which are currently adversely affecting care of people with diabetes