What's life with diabetes like now? And what could it be like in the future?
That’s what we wanted to find out. So we spent summer 2017 holding the UK’s biggest conversation about diabetes. More than 9,000 people shared their stories, experiences and hopes for the future.
We heard what we need to do build a better future for people with diabetes. Now we need your help to make it a reality.
Join the fight for a better future
The Future of Diabetes report
You told us that diabetes affects all aspects of someone’s life, and that sometimes, things can be tough. And, you also told us that a lack of awareness and understanding can lead to stigma, and people not getting the support they really need.
But we also heard that there are steps we can and must take right now to build a better future for people living with diabetes.
We put everything we learned into our Future of Diabetes report (PDF, 5.5MB).
What we need to campaign for
“We’ve come a long way in the past 20 years… compared to where we were, it’s bloody fantastic. So let’s preserve what’s brilliant… celebrate that we have made a lot of progress and expand upon that so more people can benefit.”
People with diabetes told us they want:
- More support for emotional and psychological health
- Better access to healthcare professionals who understand diabetes
- Better access to technology and treatment
- Widely available information and education
- More support and understanding at work and school
- Hope for the future through diabetes research and prevention of Type 2 diabetes.
Download the full report (PDF, 5.5MB) to learn more about people’s hopes for the future.
What we’re going to do
We want to see these changes happen. So, we’re calling for action from across the health service and governments in all four UK nations to help make this future a reality.
But we can’t do it alone. We need to work together to create a better future for people living with diabetes, and we need action from governments, health services, policy makers, healthcare professionals and local decision makers.
There are three different ways you can join the fight for a better future for people with diabetes:
Thank you to everyone who took part in our Future of Diabetes big conversations, survey and events, and shared their experiences with us. By coming together to share knowledge and fight diabetes we can build a better future – a world where diabetes can do no harm.
Read the report
- Download the Future of Diabetes report (PDF, 5.5MB)
- Download what needs to happen in England (PDF, 83KB)
- Download what needs to happen in Wales (PDF, 83KB)
- Download what needs to happen in Scotland (PDF, 84KB)
- Download what needs to happen in Northern Ireland (PDF, 82KB)
- Download the Future of Diabetes methodology (PDF, 86KB)
Campaign with us
Add your voice to the thousands who have already shared their experience and campaign with us to bring about change.
Join our professional network
If you’re a healthcare professional, help us create a better future for people living with diabetes.
Find out how to improve care
If you’re involved in the delivery of diabetes care or Type 2 diabetes prevention, check out the resources in our best practice library.