- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4. Add the apples to a saucepan with 100ml of apple juice and simmer until soft (4-5 minutes). Leaving the juice behind, place the apples in a bowl.
- Add the molasses, sugar and cinnamon to the pan with the remaining 100ml of apple juice and gently melt the sugar, adding a little more juice if needed. Allow to cool, you should end up with around 100ml of syrup.
- Rub the sunflower oil around a small pudding basin or ovenproof dish. Dip the bread in the apple syrup and use it to line the basin. Make sure there are no gaps.
- Stir the egg yolk into the apple, then put the mixture into the bread-lined bowl.
- Finally, top with more syrup-soaked bread and spoon on any remaining liquid. Bake for 20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes and if the top is very brown at the edges, place a piece of foil over it for the last 5 minutes.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes, loosen the edges with a knife and carefully turn out onto a serving plate.
- Best served straight after cooking.
- Try serving with a little low-fat yogurt or half-fat crème fraiche.