- Preheat the oven 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Add the apples to a pan with the water, cover, then simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until just soft.
- Add the sultanas, apricot, cinnamon, almond essence and half the sweetener. Mix well and set aside.
- Place a layer of pastry on a board and spray with two squirts of oil, then sprinkle with a third of the remaining sweetener. Lay another piece of pastry on top and repeat with two more sprays of oil and another third of the sweetener. Finally, repeat with the last sheet of pastry, oil and remaining sweetener.
- Spread the apple mixture over three-quarters of the pastry, leaving the top quarter free, then sprinkle with orange zest.
- Fold the top length of pastry over the apple mixture and roll the strudel over to completely cover the filling. Fold in the edges to prevent the filling from leaking out and roll the strudel over again, so the fold is at the bottom. Place on a baking sheet and spray with oil.
- Heat in the oven for 20–25 minutes, until the pastry is lightly browned.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, or non-dairy soya alternative, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Try using pears in place of apples, or adding a few blueberries or blackberries.