- Preheat the oven to 170°C/ gas mark 3. Mash the bananas, then add the eggs and beat together.
- Add the oil, vanilla extract and sugar and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice, then fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon into a 2lb loaf tin (approx 22 x 11cm), place the whole walnuts on the top, and bake for around 50–55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
- You could add other spices to this mix such as ground ginger or cinnamon, or use almonds or sunflower seeds instead of walnuts.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Slice, then wrap in foil to freeze. You can then use slices as required.