- Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water, then add the sweet potatoes after 2–3 minutes.
- Add the oil to another pan, then throw in the onions and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly so they caramelise.
- At the same time, grill the sausages on a rack under a moderate heat for 12–14 minutes, turning regularly to cook evenly. After 8 minutes, place the mushrooms under the grill and cook for 4 minutes, turning to cook each side.
- Meanwhile, cook the carrots and broccoli in boiling water for 10 minutes. Add the peas and bring back to the boil. When cooked, drain the cooking water into a jug and add a stock cube to it, topping up to 500ml with boiling water if there isn't enough liquid.
- Mash the potatoes and set aside.
- To make the gravy, add the flour to the onions and mix until coated. Gradually pour in the stock, stirring constantly, then bring back to a gentle boil until the gravy thickens. Divide everything between four plates and serve.
- This recipe could be adapted slightly to create a sausage casserole with a topping of mashed potato, if preferred. Just add stock and season well with mixed herbs to marinate the sausages in whilst cooking.
- Swap the veg for any you prefer, and experiment with different flavoured sausages.