- Crumble the bread into a bowl with the pepper and garlic. Add the egg and mix, allowing to
soak for a couple of minutes, then mix again.
- Add the grated onion and carrot, and the minced beef. Mix well, then divide the mixture into six.
- Wet your hands and shape each portion into a round ball, then flatten it into a burger shape about 2cm thick. Cover and place in the fridge to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add the burgers and leave for 3–4 minutes, then flip with a spatula and cook for a further 3–4 minutes. (Turning the burgers too soon may result in them breaking)
- Once you have made sure that the burgers are fully cooked through, serve them in buns with the lettuce, onion and tomato slices.
- For extra zing, add some chilli flakes or 2 tsp smoked paprika to the burger mix.
- You could make these burgers using turkey, venison or lean lamb mince.
- Freezing instructions: Can be frozen raw or cooked. Freeze in individually wrapped portions with greaseproof paper between each burger. Defrost fully in the fridge or microwave, then heat thoroughly until piping hot and cooked right through.