- Preheat oven 180°C/gas 4
- then place a large baking sheet into the oven.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and pepper together, add the spinach and spring onion then sprinkle grated cheese into the mixture to distribute it evenly.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the oil and half the milk, mix together and add the remaining milk until you have a soft but firm dough.
- Lightly flour a surface and gently roll the dough 2cm thick. Cut out scones with a medium cutter and then place on the hot oven tray. Pull together any scraps and roll out again to get an extra couple of scones.
- Glaze the tops with the extra milk and sprinkle a little cheese and paprika (if using) on the top of each scone.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- When cutting scones try not to twist the cutter as this can stop them rising as well.
- You can use any cheese you like, this recipe is great for using odds and ends of cheese.
- Try adding herbs such as fresh basil or half a teaspoon of dried thyme
- Tasty when split in half and spread with a little low fat cream cheese and sprinkled with finely chopped cucumber and fresh chives.
- Freezing instructions: Defrost for 2 hours to serve, or defrost/warm in the microwave or a moderate oven.