- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. First, make the sweet potato croutons. In a large bowl, drizzle the sweet potato cubes in 1 tsp oil and jumble them up to coat evenly. Sprinkle with the smoked paprika, jumble them up again and spread out on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes, turning regularly.
- Meanwhile, make the chowder. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, sweetcorn and white pepper. Stir for 3 minutes and sprinkle with the flour.
- Gradually stir in the vegetable stock until it thickens. Cover then turn down the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the milk for a couple of minutes and bring back to a simmer.
- Place the chowder into bowls and sprinkle with a few chopped chives and some freshly ground black pepper. Top with the sweet potato croutons, fresh chives and black pepper.
- If your chowder becomes a bit too thick, just slowly stir in a little more milk.
- You could add cubes of fresh salmon or some large prawns to make a corn seafood chowder.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze the croutons separately. Defrost soup in a microwave or over a very low heat until piping hot.