- Heat the spread in a medium pan, add the onion and asparagus and fry for 2–3 minutes until everything begins to soften.
- Add the flour and cook for a further minute.
- Gradually, stir in the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the asparagus is cooked through, and reserve a couple of asparagus spears for serving.
- Add the milk, bring to almost boiling point, then place in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Season with plenty of black pepper and top with the asparagus spears. Serve with crusty bread or toast.