- Preheat the oven to 190°/gas 5. Lightly oil a baking sheet and put the coconut milk into a shallow bowl. Mix the flour with the five-spice, then put the flour onto a dinner plate and the breadcrumbs on another dinner plate.
- Put the tofu onto the plate of flour and mix so each piece is coated, separating the strips so they’re not touching each other.
- Wash and dry your hands then pick up a strip of tofu, shake off any excess flour, dip into the coconut milk then place on the breadcrumbs and sprinkle more crumbs on top to fully coat the tofu, then place on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the tofu goujons are coated.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the outside is crispy and lightly browned.
- It's a good idea to use one hand for dipping the goujons into the coconut milk and the other for bread-crumbing the nuggets, otherwise it can get messy.
- To make breadcrumbs, dry out a couple slices of bread in the oven for a few minutes, break into smaller pieces, then use a blender or stick blender to crumb the bread. If it still feels moist and clumpy, spread onto a baking sheet and give it a couple more minutes before blending again.
- Add spices such as smoked paprika, cumin or curry to your flour or breadcrumbs to add extra flavour.