- Preheat oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Add the oil and artificial sweetener, and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and ginger, and mix again.
- Roll out the mixture to about 1cm thick and cut out your chosen shapes. If hanging on a tree, carefully make a hole for ribbon in one end with a skewer or chopstick. Roll out the leftover dough and cut out more shapes as you go.
- Place on a lightly oiled baking tray and cook for 8–10 minutes.
- Place on a rack to cool and decorate with the silver or gold paint. Thread the ribbons through and knot to make a loop. Hang on your tree.
- If you’re hanging the biscuits, after 3-4 minutes cooking time check the holes are still open and if necessary carefully press the skewer or chopstick through again while they are on the baking sheet.
- You could add cinnamon or a pinch of cloves for a different flavour.