- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 5. Place the peppers, onion and courgette onto a lightly oiled baking sheet, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, turning a couple of times until starting to brown at the edges.
- Let the vegetables cool for 5 minutes. Add the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with oregano, season with black pepper and mix gently. Divide the vegetables into 2 equal portions.
- Slice each loaf lengthways to create 3 horizontal slices. Place half of one portion of vegetables on the bottom slice of bread, then op with goat's cheese.
- Add the middle slice of bread, then add the second layer of vegetables, 1 sliced tomato and some of the basil, and top with the final slide of bread. Repeat with the second loaf.
- Wrap each loaf tightly in greaseproof paper, twisting the ends, then wrap tightly in cling film. Put the loaves in the refrigerator, topped with a plate or oven tray and place some weights on top, eg tins of beans. Leave for at least 2 hours, or overnight, so that all the juices permeate the bread.
- For a dairy-free or vegan version, add some tahini and sundried tomatoes instead of the goat's cheese.
- You can easily scale up this recipe and use a large loaf that will feed 8 people. Alternatively, use fewer ingredients for a single portion in a bread roll.