- Put the oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onions and stir for 7–10 minutes until well browned.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook for a further 2–3 minutes stirring regularly.
- Now add the garlic, cumin, tomato purée, lentils and mix well.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently for 12 minutes.
- Add the kale, replace the lid and simmer a further 5 minutes, season with pepper and serve.
- You could use any stock, such as chicken or beef. Stock can be high in salt so choose reduced-salt options whenever possible.
- Try adding a shredded chicken breast or pieces of marinated or smoked tofu.
- You can also add other vegetables, such as peppers, courgettes, broccoli or tinned sweetcorn.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in portions then defrost in the fridge, or defrost in a microwave, taking care to stir regularly.