- Crumble the bread and add to the beaten egg, set aside but mix occasionally until the bread has absorbed all the egg.
- Meanwhile In a large bowl thoroughly mash half the chickpeas then roughly mash the other half and stir together.
- Add the lamb, onion, mint, cumin and chili flakes and mix, then add the egg and bread mixture and mix well - the best way is by hand, squidging everything together.
- Form into 8 burgers (approx 8 cm diameter and 2½ cm thick) and put on a plate or tray, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, an hour or two is better.
- Carefully place burgers on a BBQ, griddle pan or under the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Once you place them on a griddle or BBQ don't move or turn them until they've had chance to form a crust (4-5 minutes). Once cooked put on a plate and cover with foil.
- Toast the buns if desired then build your burgers with the lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Works well with beef mince or for a lower-fat version use turkey mince.
- Try with pitta bread rather than rolls and drizzle with tatziki.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in individually wrapped portions with greaseproof paper between each burger.