- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, or paella pan if you have one, add the onion, garlic and pepper and fry for 2–3 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the chicken thighs and chorizo and continue to fry for 4–5 minutes until the chicken is browned all over. Meanwhile, soak the saffron in the stock.
- Add the tomatoes, paprika and rice to the pan, then add a quarter of the stock, stir well and simmer gently until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue adding the stock and simmering gently, adding the seafood cocktail and the prawns with the last addition of the stock.
- Stir through the parsley and season well with black pepper and serve with lemon wedges, to garnish.
- If the rice needs a little extra cooking then you may need to add a little extra stock.
- For a seafood version, omit the chicken, use vegetable stock and add cubed salmon.
- If you don’t like shellfish, use a combination of salmon and monkfish (500g) in place of mixed seafood and prawns.
- If you omit the chorizo add an extra tsp smoked paprika.