- Add the oil to a pan with the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir regularly until well browned.
- Add the ginger and garlic, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the star anise, cinnamon, coriander seeds, chilli and the chicken breast. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes, ensuring the chicken breast is lightly browned and coated with the spices.
- Add the stock and mix well again. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat. Cover, then simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chilli, cinnamon stick and star anise and discard. Remove the chicken breast and set to one side.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and cook a further 2 minutes before adding the noodles and beansprouts. Bring to the boil, then divide between 4 bowls.
- Slice the chicken and place some on top of each bowl, then scatter with spring onion, coriander, a chilli and a squeeze of fresh lime.
- You could add pork instead of chicken, or add prawns with the broccoli.
- For a vegan version, replace the chicken with tofu and use a vegetable stock cube.
- For gluten-free version, use a gluten-free stock cube.