- Place newspaper sheets on a tray. Place a clean towel on top.
- Empty the yogurt onto the tea towel, drain all water from the yogurt for 3–4 minutes. Once drained, put the yogurt into the large bowl, add sugar and whisk thoroughly for 2–3 minutes. It should be thick and creamy.
- Boil ½ the quantity of saffron strands and ½ the quantity of ground cardamoms in a small pan with the milk. Allow it to cool completely. Once cold, add to the yogurt mixture.
- Again whisk well. Slice the pistachios and almonds very finely. Add ½ the quantity into the yogurt mixture. Transfer to the serving bowl. Decorate by sprinkling the remaining saffron strands, finely sliced nuts and cardamoms. Refrigerate for 2–24 hours for best results.
- I’ve adapted it reducing sugar and nuts to suit my diabetes diet. Instead of using 3 tablespoons of sugar, I use just 1. Traditional recipes suggest 15 pistachio nuts and almonds, but I use only five of each.