- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 8. Cook your turkey at this temperature for the first 30 mins and then lower the oven temperature to 190°C/gas 5.
- Stuff the turkey's cavity with the lemon, onion quarters, garlic, bay leaves and thyme.
- Put the turkey into a large roasting tin. Lay the bacon across the turkey breast (see chefs tips), then cover it with foil.
- Cook for at least 3 hours, removing the foil for the last 30 minutes of cooking time so that the bacon and skin can brown.
- Check the turkey is cooked, then remove from the oven, cover loosely with the foil and leave to one side to rest for 30 minutes before carving.
- Different sized turkeys will require different cooking times; cooking time will be approximately 30-35 mins per kg.
- Your turkey should be moist and succulent. It's ready when the juices run clear. Test by plunging a fork into the deepest part of the thigh or breast. If using a thermometer, the internal cooked temperature will be 165°F/74°C.
- To make a bacon weave: simply interweave the rashers of bacon on a piece of cling film, once you have a neat weave carefully place it on the turkey breast and remove the film.
- Serve with chestnut and apricot stuffing.