- Halve the chicory and place in a non-metallic roasting dish.
- Sprinkle over the chopped garlic cloves and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Add the lemon zest and juice.
- Roast for 25–30 minutes at 200ºC/gas 6 until tender and beginning to char, then scatter over the toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley.
- Toast the pine nuts by adding them to a dry frying pan and cooking for 2-3 mins turning regularly. As soon as they start to brown, remove from the pan as they burn quickly.
- You can also make this recipe with halved fennel bulbs, which are less bitter.