- Sift together the flours, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Quickly stir in the buttermilk and combine until a dough is formed.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Mould into a round shape, place onto a lightly floured baking sheet, cut a cross in the top, and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 5 and bake for 25–30 minutes, until it sounds hollow when tapped.
- When sieving wholemeal flour, add back any bran that stays in the sieve after sifting.
- You could add 75g mixed dried fruit and 1 tsp of mixed spice for a great fruit bread.
- This soda bread is ideal for slicing and freezing – pop the slices straight into the toaster.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Slice, then wrap in foil to freeze. You can then use slices as required.