- Add 1 tsp of oil to a saucepan, then add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the red pepper and fry a further 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the egg, spinach, cumin, chilli and sweetcorn to a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the onion and red pepper, then add the chickpeas, gram flour and coriander, and mix thoroughly.
With wet hands, shape the mixture into 8 patties.
- Add the remaining oil to a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Place fritters in the pan and flatten slightly with a spatula to about ½-1cm thick, to ensure even cooking.
- Cook the fritters until lightly browned for 3-4 minutes, then carefully flip over and cook the other side again for 3-4 minutes. You may wish to give each side a further 1-2 minutes to get a nice crust on them. Serve with salad.
- If you don’t have a big enough pan, you can cook the fritters in 2 batches. Place on a warm plate and set aside until they’re all ready.
- You can serve the fritters either warm or cold.
- If you don’t have gram flour you could use plain or wholemeal wheat flour instead.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in individually wrapped portions with greaseproof paper between each fritter. Defrost thoroughly and reheat until piping hot throughout.