- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for 2–3 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the chilli flakes (if using) and the tomatoes and gently squash with a wooden spoon. Bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions and drain.
- Stir the pasta through the sauce with the flaked tuna and serve topped with Parmesan cheese and basil (if using)..
- This is great served with salad if you have any. If not, add 1 cup of peas to the pasta 2 minutes before the end of cooking time to add colour and extra goodness – remember, this will increase your vegetable portion intake.
- You could use a tin of salmon in place of tuna.
- If your children are fussy eaters, look out for unusual pasta shapes to make food more appealing.