- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4 and lightly grease a 19cm x 28cm baking tray.
- Place the raisins, sugar, spread and mixed spice into a medium pan with 200ml of water.
- Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and cool.
- In a separate dish, stir together the remaining ingredients (apart from the honey) then stir into the raisin mixture. Spoon into the prepared tin, smooth out to 1½ cm thick then bake for 25–30 minutes.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, brush with the warmed honey and mark into 25 bars.
- Allow to cool, and serve.
- Try adding different spices such as cinnamon or ground ginger.
- You can also use dried fruits such a mixed dried fruit, sultanas, prunes or apricots.
- Use a non-dairy spread or rapeseed oil for a vegan version.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Freeze in portions then defrost and serve cold or warm.