- Add 1 tsp of oil to a saucepan over a low to medium heat, then add the onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly until softened, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg into the milk, then place the flour in a bowl and gradually stir in the milk mixture until smooth. Next, add the spinach, onion, cheese and pepper then mix.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium to low heat. Add the remaining teaspoon of oil and wipe it around the pan with kitchen paper, before adding ¼ of the mixture. Spread it around the pan with the back of a spoon, about 12-15cm diameter and ½cm thick.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip over with a spatula and cook for another minute or two on the other side.
Serve topped with fresh tomatoes sprinkled with basil and black pepper.
- Try adding other vegetables to the pancakes such as grated courgette, cooked leeks or mushrooms.
- Keep the pancakes warm between two plates, over a saucepan of gently simmering water, until they are all cooked.