Sometimes it can be difficult to get your voice heard. And when it’s about an issue connected to diabetes, it can be really worrying.
That’s where we come in. The Diabetes UK advocacy service is here for all people with diabetes, their family, friends and carers to help with issues connected to diabetes. We give you the information and support you need to make sure you know your rights, understand your options and help you get your voice heard.
Get in touch today
Once you’ve contacted us, we will be in touch within five working days to respond to your enquiry.
You can find out how we store and process your information on our privacy page.
"I knew that withdrawing my licence was unjust, but taking on a large organisation, it feels like it’s just you against the big guys. Having Diabetes UK’s help, and knowing they were on my side, made all the difference."
How we help
We help people with diabetes on a wide range of issues in connection with their diabetes. We also help friends, family and carers acting on behalf of people with diabetes.
If you have a question about your rights or think that you’ve been treated unfairly, we can help. Some examples of how we do this are:
- Helping you to get your driving licence back.
- Writing to your employer about your rights at work.
- Talking through your options if you’ve had your diabetes equipment or treatment taken away on a night out.
If your question is about a child with Type 1 diabetes and their rights at school, ourCare in School Helplinecan give you the information and support you need to make sure that your child is happy and healthy at school.
You can download more detailed information on a range of different topics, which explain your rights and the options available:
- Availability of blood glucose test strips.
- How can I get Flash Glucose Monitoring if I need it?
- Education and diabetes.
- Having diabetes in prison.
- Employment and diabetes – your rights at work.
- Service providers and diabetes.
- Making a complaint about healthcare.
We are not able to offer
- Legal advice or legal advocacy.
- Accompanying to meetings.
- Detailed benefit advice.
- Specific medical advice relating to your diabetes.
But we will refer you on to the relevant agencies that can help.
If you'd rather send us a letter, you can write to us:
Wells Lawrence House,126 Back Church LaneLondon E1 1FH
*Calls to 0345 numbers cost no more than calls to geographic (01 and 02) numbers and must be included in inclusive minutes on mobile phones and discount schemes. Calls from landlines are typically charged between 2p and 10p per minute while calls from mobiles typically cost between 10p and 40p per minute. Calls from landlines and mobiles to 0345 numbers are included in free call packages.
Calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes.