Type 1 Family Weekenders offer a unique three-day experience for children and young people to enjoy activities away from their parents, often for the first time, in a safe and fun environment.
Joining us as a volunteer means you’ll be helping children, young people and their families get the most out of the event. They’ll leave feeling supported, more confident with their diabetes management, having made friends and had fun.
Hear from Ella, an experienced volunteer.
How you'll benefit from volunteering
- You’ll make a real difference to the lives of children and their families living with Type 1 diabetes
- You’ll take part in a unique and unforgettable experience
- You'll develop your team working skills with a fantastic group of people
- You'll strengthen your communication skills
- You'll work for a brilliant cause
- You'll have fun
What to expect
We explain everything you need to know about volunteering at a Family Weekender in our downloadable leaflet (PDF).
"I love volunteering. It’s very rewarding sharing my experience of living with Type 1 with others and knowing that I'm helping them."
Alex, general volunteer
Type 1 diabetes. Prior knowledge of Type 1 diabetes is helpful. Most of our general volunteers have Type 1 diabetes themselves, or have a family member or close friend with Type 1.
"I enjoy spending time with other diabetics like myself, be it adults and children. It’s really fulfilling seeing the children grow throughout their time at the event."
Abigail, general volunteer
Dates and locations
Please see below the date of our first event - more will be added shortly, as soon as they're confirmed. If you’re unable to attend the event below, please still apply online so we can keep you posted of new events as they're added.
- Friday 4 October to Sunday 6 October 2019 – Belfast
- Friday 1 November to Sunday 3 November 2019 – Winchester
- Friday 8 November to Sunday 10 November 2019 – Glasgow