What is safeguarding?
Safeguarding describes the actions taken to promote the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk, and to protect them from harm.
Safeguarding is everybody's business and all staff and volunteers play a part in keeping children and adults at risk safe. This includes ensuring we act according to safer working practice principles, consider safety in all aspects of work, and know what to do if you have a worry about a child or adult at risk.
We ensure that all staff and volunteers understand how to play their part by:
- Protecting children, young people and adults at risk from abuse and harm by appropriately responding to any concerns
- Preventing harm to children, young people and adults at risk by making sure the way we work keeps people safe and does not place them at risk of harm.
We can do this by:
- making sure we have and follow good safeguarding policies and procedures accessible by all
- ensuring all staff and volunteers understand safeguarding in relation to their role and the part they play in keeping people safe
- providing safeguarding training for all staff and volunteers.
What does this mean for you as a local group?
Your meetings and events provide much needed support and information to people living with diabetes and their families.
Please read our Keeping Safe, Legal and Healthy Policy (PDF, 6.29MB) – to help you consider the safety and welfare of everyone involved with your group
What do I do if I have a worry about a child or adult at risk?
See our flowchart (PDF, 60KB) for what to do if you are worried about a child or adult at risk.
Out-of-hours support and advice is available to all Diabetes UK volunteers through the NSPCC Helpline by calling 0808 800 5000. Please ensure you tell the advisor that you are calling from Diabetes UK.
We also have a dedicated safeguarding team you can contact on 020 7424 1047 or by emailing email@example.com.
I’d like to run an event for children what do I need to do?
If you would like to run an event for children please speak to your local team for specific approval.
In order to make sure all events are safe and legal and covered by our insurance we have guidance for planning safe events for children (Word, 171KB)