16 February 2016
Diabetes UK has just launched thein Wales. The Number One Bag gives families the key information, support and practical advice that they need as they start on their Type 1 diabetes journey. Paediatric Units should receive bags this month, which healthcare professionals can then give to patients.
The Bag has been designed in collaboration with NHS Wales and the Children and Young People’s Wales Diabetes Network,(CYPWDN)and with the help of families with a child with Type 1 diabetes.
The Number One Bag includes:
- Diabetes UK’s parents’ guide with all of the key information to help manage the child’s Type 1 diabetes
- an overview of the different types of support Diabetes UK offers families with a child with Type 1 diabetes, including local support groups
- our ‘Make the grade’ parent pack, to ensure the child gets the care they need at school so diabetes doesn’t affect their learning
- practical help and information for their friends and family members when their child is away from home
- inspirational stories from parents and children about how they’ve learned to live well with Type 1 diabetes
- a postcard that can be sent back to us for a free copy of Dr Rachel Besser’s book on Type 1 diabetes, Through the Looking Glass and upon a family giving us their details, we will stay in touch (optional) via email and we’ll send them information, help and advice about all the things they’ll want to know as a family living with Type 1.
- My Life, Diabetes UK’s magazine for children and young people
- information explaining how parents can get involved with the CYPWDN
The Number One bag is being piloted in Wales first and will be rolled out in the rest of the UK in 2016/17.
For more information, contactWales@diabetes.org.uk or call 029 20668 676.