The Young Diabetologists and Endocrinologists' Forum is a forum for young diabetologists who are members of Diabetes UK.
The Forum exists under the auspices of the Professional Working Groups of Diabetes UK. Its constitution and any future changes shall be subject to the approval of this committee.
The Forum seeks to represent and support the interests of junior doctors who are involved in any aspect of diabetes care or research. In particular, the Forum has three key objectives:
- Representation – within Diabetes UK via the elected member and on national committees by nomination from within the Forum.
- Education and training – that might not be available elsewhere. This could cover clinical, research, managerial and other relevant topics both to promote learning as well as the development of skills. A range of teaching and learning approaches would be employed. Information about relevant courses would also be disseminated.
- Social and networking – the development of contacts across the country to share information and experience will be promoted.
Members of the Forum must be fully paid-up Professional Members of Diabetes UK. Members will normally be medically qualified, have completed general professional training and be involved in any aspect of diabetes care or research. Associate membership may be offered to others (eg medical students) at the discretion of the committee. Members will not have held a consultant or senior lecturer post for more than two years.
YDEF organise and deliver a variety of meetings throughout the year, each one offering a different aspect of diabetes care specifically targeted for members. Course topics include lipids, insulin pumps, research days and clinical management. The highlight of the Forum is its annual meeting, which is appended to Diabetes UK's Professional Conference. The annual meeting aims to address, and be responsive to the needs of all its members.
- Ali Chakera (Exeter)
- Kelly Cheer (Manchester)
- Stuart Little (Newcastle)
- Myuri Moorthy (London)
- Adam Nicholls (Southampton)
- Muna Nwokolo (London)
- Milan Piya (Warwick)
- Amar Puttanna (Birmingham)
- Suchitra Raj (South West)
- Laura Rich (Severn)
The YDEF reports to the Professional Working Groups via the elected SpR member (Chair) – currently Ali Chakera.
Please go to theYoung Diabetologists and Endocrinologists' Forum websitefor more information.