Clinical Champions are people working in healthcare who are committed to improving diabetes care. Our partnership, made up of Diabetes UK, Ashridge Business School and Novo Nordisk, provides in depth support to help Clinical Champions turn their potential into real change.
Clinical Champions take part in a two-year and a half year development programme, where they learn about influencing change, and benefit from peer support and peer learning. At the same time, they are supported in their work to improve and transform diabetes care in their local areas, regionally, and nationally.
Who is the programme for?
- Clinicians working in any aspect of diabetes care
- Professionals working within health systems, focusing on diabetes care
What to expect from the programme
You will take part in individual, one to one, and group work processes, as well as learn a variety of tools and methods to:
- Further raise your awareness of yourself, your leadership style and your impact on others
- Build resilience in yourself and others
- Understand the role you have in your health system
- Increase your capacity for making and driving forward sustainable change within diabetes care
- Learn tools and methods to forge reciprocal relationships and lead effective, participative, and compassionate team cultures.
- Understand how to facilitate transformation in diabetes care through the power of collective leadership
"The programme supports people in numerous different ways to be able to achieve things that they never though they could in terms of diabetes care improvement. " Dr Debbie Wake
- The programme runs for 2 years
- The coronavirus pandemic permitting, you will gather with your fellow Champions at the world-renowned Ashridge Business School for a total of four sessions (each session lasts 2.5 days)
- In between, you will meet online in small peer mentor groups every month
- You will receive regular one to one coaching
- You will be sent regular reading and writing activities to engage with.
- We limit cohorts to a maximum of 20 Champions.
Please download the criteria for the Champions programme here.
How to join
We are now open for expressions of interest to join the 2021 cohort of Clinical Champions. Please review the joining criteria above and then send us your expression of interest by following this link.
Find your local Champion
- Eastern England
- North of England
- South East England
- South West England
- Northern Ireland
The Diabetes UK Professional Leadership Alumni
It doesn't stop there. Graduates from the Clinical Champions programme can join our Professional Leadership Alumni to continue developing their leadership capabilities and network with colleagues from across the UK.