Tips for indoor cycling
I have always used an indoor bike to help with my cycling training. It helps me test my power and has supported getting me stronger cycling outside. I now instruct indoor cycling which I love.
- Have plenty of water on hand to drink – as you always lose twice as much sweat riding inside.
- Electrolytes are a must! They help restore lost sodium, minerals and salts the body loses when sweating / exercising. They can be found in any exercise drink (such as Lucozade) or sugar free options such as High 5 tablets which dissolve into your water.
- Buy some cycling shoes – you can cycle with better technique and more power than normal trainers.
- Get some padded shorts – there’s nothing worse than sore glutes if you’re cycling.
- Get a good bike fit - making sure your seat and handlebars are in a suitable position to reduce injury and gain comfort.
- Always remember a towel for the bike, along with a mat for under your bike (there is nothing worse than dripping loads of sweat when you are cycling).