Effective diabetes care can only be achieved through working closely with your diabetes healthcare team – they are there to support you in self-managing your diabetes. The most important person in the team is you – because the decisions made will affect you. Taking responsibility for your diabetes will enable you to manage your diabetes more effectively. Ask questions and request more information if you need to.
Support from other people
- Talk about your feelings with your family and friends - they may be concerned and wish to help.
- Involve family and friends in your understanding and care for your diabetes – they may be able to help.
- Ask someone to go with you to your healthcare team appointment especially if they care for you.
- Get to know other people with diabetes.
- Join one of Diabetes UK’s voluntary groups, take part in a support weekend or discussion forum on the internet.