- Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the spring onions for 1–2 minutes, until softened.
- Place the black-eyed beans in a large bowl and roughly mash. Stir in the remaining ingredients and combine well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and form each into patties or burgers.
- Place on a baking sheet, brush each side with the remaining oil and chill for at least 30 minutes, or until required. Cook for 2–3 minutes on each side on a medium barbecue or grill until cooked through.
- Serve in a wholemeal roll and fill with green salad, tomatoes and red onion.
- You could use other beans such as kidney beans, cannelini or mixed beans.
- Add crushed garlic and chilli flakes for extra flavour.
- Cut the carbs, by enjoying this veggie burger without the bun.
- Freezing instructions: Freeze in individually wrapped portions with grease proof paper between each burger. Defrost thoroughly and reheat until piping hot throughout.