- Heat the oven to 190°C/gas 5 and lightly oil a 20 cm cake tin.
- Sieve the wholemeal, plain, cornflour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl. (the bran in the wholemeal won't go through the sieve but just add it back to the bowl)
- In another bowl add egg yolks, yoghurt, sweetener and almond extract and beat well.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they form a stiff peak.
- Gradually fold the dry ingredients, egg yolk and yoghurt mixture together, then carefully fold in the egg whites.
- Place the mixture immediately into the oiled cake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the topping by stirring 1 tablespoon of sweetener into the quark and mixing well, leave it in the fridge until you are ready to top the cake.
- When the cake is cool cover with the sweetened quark and top with fresh strawberries and raspberries.
- Whisked egg whites make the cake lighter so take care not to overmix as your cake could become a bit heavy (but will still taste good!)
- When you add the egg whites back into the cake mixture, fold them gently to keep the air bubbles trapped inside.
- Make sure the cake is fully cooled before you add the topping.
- Any summer fruits work well. Try adding blueberries, or you could use slices of fresh peach or apricot.