- Preheat the oven to 180°/gas 4
- Oil the loaf tin and set aside ready to use.
- To a bowl add the lemon extract, juice &
- zest of 1 lemon, sweetener, eggs and oil then beat together well.
- Stir in the water and beat again until frothy, gently stir in the polenta and bicarbonate of soda then immediately place in the baking tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining lemon juice and zest into a small pan with the sweetener and warm gently for 1 minute, add the honey and warm 1-2 more minutes until it becomes syrupy.
- Drizzle the hot honey and lemon over the cooled cake and leave to soak for a few minutes before serving.
- This cake is wonderful with limes or oranges instead of lemon (reduce the sweetener if using sweet oranges).
- Great served with fresh berries and a blob of 0% fat Greek-style yogurt.
- Freezing instructions: Slice, then wrap in foil to freeze (you can then use slices as required). May be a little crumbly when defrosted, but it will still taste delicious.